Friday 28 June 2013

Hard-wired for problem-solving…




The June 24, 2013 issue of Woman’s World magazine offered tantalizing feel good/look good snippets. A paragraph on page 4 indicated that “men’s brains are not wired to pick up on the subtle facial clues that reveal how others are feeling”…This segued my brain to an oldie-goldie song that made #1 on the “Billboard charts” in 1954. Penned and published in 1953 by Edith Lindeman and Carl Stutz, it was made famous by songstress Kitty Kallen.

A part-time career many years ago found me playing easy-listening drums and singing pretty melodies, in harmony with my musician husband who was a professional pianist and composer in his own right. I still have a notebook of hand printed lyrics and several sheaves of Murray Graham’s arrangements and harmonies for duets! Among those is a wistful favourite which I think every woman would find inspiration in from time to time.

“Little Things Mean a Lot” is plaintiff and heart-wrenching…”Throw me a kiss from across the room, say I look nice when I’m not, Touch my hair as you pass my chair, Little Things Mean a Lot”.  The melody is easy to hum and the lyrics are as meaningful now as then.

In this day and age of hurry-hurry, 24/7, on-the-go incessantly and hardly a second to catch one’s breath, the Woman’s Day item concludes that all we have to do is “tell him how/what we’re feeling and what would make us feel better.” Sounds simple, but not consoling!


Who’dathunkit…..scientific studies indicate that men’s brains are wired to be problem solvers. 

No comments:

Post a Comment